How to Enter
Using your smartphone or other device, produce an informal one- to two-minute video of yourself explaining how a topic or item covered in one of your courses at UNC relates to one of the below ethical principles. Include how the principle helped you understand the topic or how the topic helped you better understand the principle.
The due date is October 30 at 11:59 pm.
Daniels Fund Principles
INTEGRITY— Act with honesty in all situations
TRUST — Build trust in all stakeholder relationships
ACCOUNTABILITY — Accept responsibility for all decisions
TRANSPARENCY — Maintain open and truthful communications
FAIRNESS — Engage in fair competition and create equitable and just relationships
RESPECT — Honor the rights, freedoms, views, and property of others
RULE OF LAW — Comply with the spirit and intent of laws and regulations
VIABILITY — Create long-term value for all relevant stakeholders
Prizes (New Increased Prizes!!)
- $500 - Amazon e-gift card for 1st place per college
- $250 - Amazon e-gift card for 2nd place per college
- $100 - Amazon e-gift card for 3rd place per college
- $5 - Starbucks e-gift card for first 100 participants with acceptable entries
- $500 - Amazon e-gift for “Overall Most Creative Entry”
Limit of one prize per person. Prizes will be awarded for each college. If no acceptable videos are received in a college, no prizes will be awarded for that college. We reserve the right to substitute same value prizes, if necessary, due to unforeseen circumstances . The judges’ decisions are final. If prizes impact financial aid, UNC merchandise will be given in lieu of gift cards.
What To Say
At the start of your video clip, introduce yourself (your name, year, major) then say something along the lines of, “One of the things we studied in [department, number, and name of your course] was [briefly describe the topic]. The Daniels Fund ethical principle of [choose a principle from the above list] helped me better understand this by [explain how the principle helped you understand the topic, or how the topic helped you understand the principle and its importance].”
The above is just an example. Feel free to modify it in a way that works for you as long as you include the relevant information.
- About Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative Collegiate Program
- Bill Daniels
- Ethics Video Competition
- Student Center for Public Trust
- Faculty Fellows
- RFP-Teaching Resource Grant
- Contact Us
- Bill Daniels' Bio
- Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative Collegiate Program Principles (download)
- Take a Professor to Lunch Request Form (download)
- You may want to use a video editing app such as Clips or Adobe Spark Video, but it is not required.
- Do not write out your text and look straight into the camera.
- Speak with few “errs,” “ums,” or repetition. You may want to do one or two practice runs.
- We are not looking for perfection nor professional production. We are interested in you relating an ethical principle to your course work.
- You must be enrolled at UNC either full-time or part-time.
- Your presentation of your course material must be accurate.
- Each video must feature yourself only and be your own work.
- You may submit as many videos as you wish, but you may only receive one prize.
- By submitting an entry, you allow us to post and use your video without restriction on the UNC Daniels Fund Ethics Initiative Collegiate Program web site.
- Video must be a minimum of 60 seconds and a maximum of 120 seconds in length.
- You must submit your video no later than 11:59 pm, October 30.
For more information about this event or the Daniels Fund, go to : https://mcb.unco.edu/ethics/daniels-fund-ethics-initative-events.aspx