Software Engineering: Creativity by Design
The development of software programs and applications is growing exponentially. Our graduates work on the edge of discovery in this evolving and growing field. Students focus on the history and principles of software engineering, data analysis and problem solving, ethical problems and issues, concepts of quality assurance and proficiency with state-of-the-industry technology.
Through a collaboration of MCB and the College of Natural and Health Sciences, students majoring in Software Engineering have access to UNC’s Applied Networking Lab, which provides students with opportunities across all platforms, thanks to academic partners like Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle and IBM.
Our Program Objectives are that by the time of graduation the students will:
- Be effective communicators.
- Be aware of professional ethics and the software engineering code of conduct.
- Be knowledgeable about the scientific method and its application to software tasks.
- Have a professional level of technical knowledge about the field and a commitment to its continued upkeep.
- Be able to effectively work in teams to complete project tasks.
- Be aware of the multi-cultural issues that impact software engineering tasks.
- Be knowledgeable of the foundations of software engineering and its application to current practice.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
The Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) are that students acquire:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Get a career guide
Software engineers are the creative force behind computer programs. Download our Software Engineering career guide
Kepner Hall 1095
Campus Box 128
Develop your creative and problem-solving skills in a top program that will prepare you for the workplace.
Consider UNC’s B.S. in Software Engineering if you:
- Like working with computers and problem solving
- Enjoy being creative and have a strong eye for detail
- Have an interest in designing your own software projects
- How to design and engineer innovative software systems
- How to analyze data to identify key problems and generate solutions
- Communication, project leadership and critical thinking skills
- Web Design and Development for Small Business
- Graphical Interface Programming
- Object Oriented System Development
- Operating Systems
- Database Management Systems
- Algorithms and Data Structures
Job titles of our Software Engineering Alumni
Sample of companies our alumni have joined since 2015
233d Space Communications Squadron
Bastian Software Solutions
Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions
Coding Colorado Ltd.
Colorado School of Mines
Freelance Graphic and Web Design
Gaming Laboratories International, LLC
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
New Mexico Military Institute
Principal Financial Group
Radix Metasystems, Inc.
School District 6
University of Northern Colorado
"With an awesome variety of courses, the Software Engineering program allows students to explore their different areas of interest. I have been able to take courses in web design and graphical interface programming, as well as networking and information systems. I believe the variety of courses offered within this program will help prepare me for a great career after graduation. The instructors are incredible mentors and advisors. I feel very proud to be a software engineering student at UNC!"
- Cristin DiCesare, Class of 2016
The growing field of software engineering offers endless opportunities to acquire new knowledge and apply your learning to interesting challenges. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of software developers is projected to grow 17 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is mainly due to an increasing demand for computer software.