Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality
Preparing Leaders for the Leisure and Hospitality Industries
UNC’s undergraduate Recreation, Tourism & Hospitality (RTH) program prepares students for leadership and management positions within the Leisure and Hospitality industries. The RTH program is designed to assist the student in acquiring the necessary knowledge and skill for public or private sector employment in these experience and service providing industries.
The internship requirements of the RTH program are integral to student learning and career advancement. Students may choose among non-profit, commercial for-profit, and governmental agencies at local, state and national levels. The RTH program uses a project based design that allows students to tailor their program to fit specific career niches within the Leisure and Hospitality industries.
There are two primary paths to a career in the Leisure and Hospitality supersectors. For the Leisure Industry, the Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation sector includes a wide range of establishments that operate facilities or provide services to meet varied cultural, entertainment, and recreational interests of their patrons.
This sector comprises of:
- Establishments that are involved in producing, promoting, or participating in live performances, events, or exhibits intended for public viewing;
- Establishments that preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural, or educational interest;
- Establishments that operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobby, and leisure-time interests.
For the Hospitality Industry, the Accommodation and Food Services sector comprises establishments providing customers with lodging and/or preparing meals, snacks, and beverages for immediate consumption. The sector includes both accommodation and food services establishments because the two activities are often combined at the same establishment (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). Read more about the Leisure and Hospitality Supersectors.
Potential Careers in Leisure and Hospitality
- Recreation Center Supervisor
- Special Event Planner
- Recreation Facility Manager
- Trip or Tour Guide
- Parks Maintenance
- Aquatics Director
- Tournament Coordinator
- Cultural Arts Manager
- Youth or Adult Athletics
- Hotel Front Desk Agent
- Banquet Captain
- Hotel Night Auditor
- Food and Beverage Coordinator
- Event Coordinator
- Restaurant Manager
- Sales Assistant
- Front Office Manager
Kepner Hall 1095
Campus Box 128