Steps for Elevator Pitch
Step #1: Describe who you are
- Begin with a hook to get the listener interested in what you have to say
- What would you most want the listener to remember about you?
Step #2: Describe what you do
- How do you make an impact/difference and add value?
- What is unique about you?
- What do you do and/or have you done that is different and/or better than others?
- What are your specific skills?
- What makes you stand out?
- What are you most proud of (skills, accomplishments, etc.)?
- Why should the listener be interested in you and take notice of you?
Step #3: Describe your immediate goal(s)
- What are you hoping to get from the conversation?
- What is your action request?
- Avoid jargon, business-speak, or trendy buzzwords
- Be genuine to who you are and what your passionate about
- Make sure your goal is concrete, defined and realistic
- It should be very clear to the listener who you are and specifically what you are asking of him or her
- Be memorable by using your own words and voice
- Use action verbs
- When discussing your results, use numbers if possible to quantify
- Think of your strengths; when are you at your best?
- Make it a conversation
- Practice your pitch so you remember the main points
- Don’t want your commercial to sound memorized
Check out http://www.quintcareers.com/branding_self-marketing.html for additional resources
Have questions? Looking for feedback on your pitch before the competition? Contact the MCB Professional Experience Coordinator, Cassandra Shearholdt at (970) 351-4589 to schedule an appointment.