Computer Information Systems
Monfort College of Business
Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 1:50 - 3:30 pm
Campus Box 128
Greeley, CO 80639
University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, August 2013
- Dissertation Title: "Packet Coalescing and Server Substitution for Energy-Proportional
Operation of Network Links and Data Servers"
- Advisor: Ken Christensen
- M.S. in Computer Science, July 2010
- Thesis Title: "Improving the Energy Efficiency of IEEE 802.3az EEE and Periodically
Paused Switched Ethernet"
- Advisor: Ken Christensen
- University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado
- Associate Professor of Computer Information Systems (Summer 2018 – Present)
- Assistant Professor of Computer Information Systems (Fall 2016 – Spring 2018)
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science (Fall 2013 – Summer 2016)
- University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant (Fall 2008 – Summer 2013)
- BACS 300: Information Systems – Summer 2019 [syllabus][evaluation]
- UIBE 2018052: Business Analysis and Modeling with Spreadsheets – Summer 2018 [syllabus][evaluation]
- (At the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing, China as a visiting instructor)
- Ph.D. Committees
- Niloofar Ramezani, Department of Applied Statistics and Research Methods, Graduated:
Summer 2017. (Research Advisor: Trent Lalonde)
- Chittanun Sitthisan, Department of Applied Statistics and Research Methods, Graduated:
Fall 2016. (Research Advisor: Khalil Shafie)
- Undergraduate Students
- Erica Garner, "Design and Development of a novel Automatic Attendance Tracking System,"
Software Engineering Senior Project, Spring 2015.
Research/Areas of Interest
Computer networks: performance evaluation, analytical and simulation modeling.
Green networks: reducing the energy consumption of wired networks with emphasis on individual
end devices and intermediate equipment.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Mehrgan Mostowfi and Khalil Shafie, "Dual-Mode Energy Efficient Ethernet with Packet
Coalescing: Analysis and Simulation, " Journal of Sustainable Computing - Informatics
and Systems, Vol. 18, pp. 149–162, June 2018.. [ScienceDirect]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi and Khalil Shafie, "Average Packet Delay in Dual-Mode EEE: An Analytical
Model," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 21, pp. 1759–1761, October 2016. [IEEE Xplore]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi and Khalil Shafie, "An Analytical Model for the Power Consumption
of Dual-Mode EEE," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 15, pp. 1308–1310, April 2016. [IEEE Xplore]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi, "A Simulation Study of Energy Efficient Ethernet with Two Modes
of Low-Power Operation," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 19, No. 10, July 2015.
- Mehrgan Mostowfi, Ken Christensen, SangHak Lee, and Jungmee Yun, "SME Web Energy Efficient
Platform (SWEEP): A New Architecture for a Hybrid Web Server," Journal of Sustainable
Computing - Informatics and Systems, Vol. 3, No. 4, December 2013, pp. 249-261. [ScienceDirect]
- Allen Roginsky, Ken Christensen, and Mehrgan Mostowfi, "Extending Idle Periods: An
Analysis of On-Off Scheduling," Applied Mathematics & Information Sciences, Vol. 7,
No. 6, pp. 2123-2136, November 2013.
- Ken Christensen, Pedro Reviriego, Bruce Nordman, Michael Bennett, Mehrgan Mostowfi,
and Juan Antonio Maestro, "IEEE 802.3az: The Road to Energy Efficient Ethernet," IEEE
Communications, Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 50-56, November 2010. [IEEE Xplore]
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
Melanie Peffer, David Quigley, and Mehrgan Mostowfi, "Clustering Analysis Reveals
Authentic Science Inquiry Trajectories Among Undergraduates," Proceedings of the Ninth
Learning Analytics and Knowledge Conference, Tempe, AZ, March 2019. [ACM DL]
Mehrgan Mostowfi, "HTTP Timed Redirection to Reduce the Energy Use of Servers," Proceedings
of the Eighth IEEE Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference, Las
Vegas, NV, January 2018. [IEEE Xplore]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi, "Packet Coalescing for Dual-Mode Energy Efficient Ethernet: A Simulation
Study," Proceedings of the Eighth EAI International Conference on Simulation Tools
and Techniques (SIMUTools '15), Athens, Greece, August 2015. [ACM DL]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi, "Major Dynamic Power Management Methods in Wired Networks: A New
Taxonomy," Proceedings of the IEEE SoutheastCon 2015, Fort Lauderdale, FL, April 2015.
- Mehrgan Mostowfi, Ken Christensen, SangHak Lee, and Jungmee Yun, "Timed Redirection:
HTTP Request Coalescing to Reduce Energy Use of Hybrid Web Servers," Proceedings of
the 37th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Clearwater, FL, October
2012. [IEEE Xplore]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi and Ken Christensen, "An Energy-Delay Model for a Packet Coalescer,"
Proceedings of the IEEE SoutheastCon 2012, March 2012. [IEEE Xplore]
- Mehrgan Mostowfi and Ken Christensen, "Saving Energy in LAN Switches: New Methods
of Packet Coalescing for Energy Efficient Ethernet," Proceedings of the International
Green Computing Conference (IGCC'11), Orlando, FL, July 2011. [IEEE Xplore]
- Ingo Mclean, Mehrgan Mostowfi, and Ken Christensen, "Systems And Methods For Automatically
Selecting A Communication Channel," U.S. Patent 9,106,559 filed to the US Patents
and Trademark Office on January 16, 2013, granted on August 11, 2015. [USPTO]
- Anna Ursyn and Mehrgan Mostowfi, "Visualization by Coding: Drawing Simple Shapes and
Forms in Various Programming Languages," Chapter in "Maximizing Cognitive Learning
Through Knowledge Visualization", Edited by Anna Ursyn, released in February 2015.
- (Research Grant) "MRI: Acquisition of a High Performance Computing Cluster for Multidisciplinary
Research and Education at the University of Northern Colorado" National Science Foundation
Major Research Instrument Award No. ACI-1429003, September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2017,
Amount: $199,926 ($139,948 from NSF and $59,978 in matching from UNCO), co-PIs: Seth
Frietze, David Lerach, David Hydock, and Wendilyn Flynn. [NSF]
- Fellowship in the UNC Sponsored Research Fellowship Program (SRFP), 2016 to 2018,
Amount: $12,000 in the form of a course release, summer support and travel funding.
- (Research Grant) "A Testbed for Evaluating Energy-Efficient Internet Protocols: Performance
Evaluation of HTTP Timed Redirection," UNCO Internal RDFD Award No. QR043, April 2014
to October 2016, Amount: $9,800. (Sole PI)
- (Teaching Grant) "Developing and Delivering an Interdisciplinary Course: Problem Solving
with Supercomputers," UNCO Internal Program for Interdisciplinary/Interprofessional
Course Creation (PIC), Fall 2015 to Fall 2016, Amount: $10,000 in the form of two
course releases. (Sole PI)
- (Service Grant) "Travel Support for Participation in the ABET Fundamentals of Assessment
Workshop," UNCO Internal Assessment Mini-Grant, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015, Amount:
$3,000. (Other PI: Charmayne Cullom)